The class will start with a brief overview of key terminology and principles as well as the different styles of spey casting (Skagit, Traditional and Scandinavian). After the talk the class moves out (to the river) to work on the basic casts and their foundation that each angler/caster has. The basic casts are the forward stroke, Roll cast, Snap T and Double Spey cast (with both right hand and left hand up). A break for lunch will be taken around 12.30 and, after lunch, the class will head back to the river to work more techniques.Date: Sunday April 19thTime: 8:30am to 4:00pmInstructor: Simon GawesworthLocation: Anglers All Store
These techniques will include any of the following options (depending on requirements, time available and ability):
The object of this class is to ensure that the ‘students’ have a complete understanding of the mechanics of spey casting, as well as the ability to perform a range of spey casts to a competent level for any situation.
- Consolidate the basic casts
- Learn alternative casts (Single Spey, Switch cast Snake Roll, Perry Poke, Wombat, etc.
- Work with sinking tips and heads
- Work with long belly lines to really hone the technique
- Work with single handed rods
- Casting Games
- Honing in the perfect line/rod combination for given situations and skills
Finally, if any client has access to a camcorder it may well be worth bringing it along - if time permits, the instructor will film a comparison between the students style and the instructor’s.